Welcome to the New Heart of Mary!

We are a school with a long and distinguished history, dating back to our founding in 1901. Our graduates have served our city, our church, and our country in exemplary ways - as doctors, nurses, government officials, religious leaders, first responders, and numerous other professionals. We are proud to claim former U.S. Secretary of Labor, Alexis Herman, and Major General, U.S. Marine Corps and U.S. Ambassador, J. Gary Cooper as alumni of our school.

We are proud of the legacy passed on to us by generations of Catholic nuns, who have been principals and teachers here, many of whom worked side by side with leaders of the Civil Rights Movement, often meeting in our cafeteria for planning sessions.

Today, we are the “new” Heart of Mary with a new structure as an independent school under the direction of a single Board. Heart of Mary’s Christian faith-based education is open to all who want to instill Christian faith values into their children. We have adopted a new Learning Communities (LCs) teaching model, but still promises to bring students and parents small class sizes, dedicated attention, and a joyful learning environment, where students will learn to be proud of themselves, their culture, and their school.

Striving to be a faith community, we

Celebrate liturgy weekly.

Teach the truths of our faith.

Study and proclaim His Word.

Recognize ALL people as God’s children.

Reach out to serve those in need.

Quick Facts

  • Heart of Mary School is located on Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Avenue between Broad and Congress Streets.
  • Heart of Mary is staffed by licensed Lay teachers and a Daughter of Charity sister
  • The school serves students from Pre-K3 to Eighth grade.
  • We offer full day classes for Pre-K 3 & 4 students.
  • A 'C' average and acceptable conduct must be attained to be eligible for sports and/or extracurricular activities.
  • Title 1 services are available to all eligible students.
  • Federal Breakfast & Lunch programs are available (see links).
  • We follow Alabama State Curriculum guidelines.
  • We're accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS).

Heart of Mary is a qualified non-public Alabama school under the Alabama Accountability Act (AAA) to enroll students from failing public schools.

History

Click on a date below to view Heart of Mary's historical milestones

1899

1900

1902

1912

1993

2020

1899

The Heart of Mary Church was organized in 1899 as St. Anthony's Mission by Creoles of African descent.

1900

In October of 1900, a school was opened in the original building that served as the new parish, then named St. Anthony.

1902

In October of 1902, five Glen Riddle Franciscan Sisters arrived to take over the school and remained for five years.

1912

In 1912, a school annex was built at Davis Avenue and St. Ann Street, one mile north of the parish plant.

1993

In September of 1993, the Glen Riddle Franciscan Sisters returned to manage the school.

2020

2020 year

The Mission was served by Josephite Priests, Rev. Joseph St. Laurent and Rev. Louis Pastorlli. By 1901, a small school was established. The construction of the present church was completed in 1908. The name was changed to Most Pure Heart of Mary in honor of the Blessed Virgin Mother. The Parish continued as a spiritual beacon to black Mobilians during the Civil Rights Movement of the late Sixties and early Seventies. Most Pure Heart of Mary was the public meeting location for the Neighborhood Organized Workers-NOW. Diocesan priests and nuns participated in boycotts and marches in support of the black community. Most Pure Heart of Mary parish continues as a foundation for Black Catholics in Mobile.

In October of 1900, a school was opened in the original building that served as the new parish, then named St. Anthony. In October of 1902, five Glen Riddle Franciscan Sisters arrived to take over the school and remained for five years. Lay teachers operated the school from 1907 to 1911 when Sisters of the Holy Spirit from San Antonio, Texas took over the educational mission of the parish in September of that year.

In 1912, a school annex was built at Davis Avenue and St. Ann Street, one mile north of the parish plant. This annex school continued until 1927, when a brick school building replaced the many temporary buildings used by the school. A full high school program was initiated in September of 1911 and continued until 1964, when integration opened McGill-Toolen High School to African Americans.

The Holy Spirit Sisters staffed Most Pure Heart of Mary School from 1911 to 1943, when the Dominican Sisters of Sinsinawa, Wisconsin replaced them and who continued to serve until 1990. The school was then staffed with a lay principal and teachers until 1993. In September of 1993, the Glen Riddle Franciscan Sisters returned to manage the school.

Lay teachers, 1900-1902

Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia, 1902-1907

Lay Teacher, 1907-1911

Holy Spirit Sisters, San Antonio, 1911-1943

Dominican Sisters of Sinsinawa, 1943-1990

Lay Teachers, 1990-1993

Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia, 1993-2012

Lay Teachers, 2012 - Present

Quick Facts
Staff

What You'll Find At The Heart

Here are a few things to know about Heart of Mary School.

Learning Communities

Our innovative, new, Learning Communities (LCs) academic teaching model creates:

PASSIONATE TEACHERS

Our generalist-certified educators teach only in the areas of their greatest strength and interest.

LEARNING BLOCKS OF K-2, 3-5 & 6-8 GRADES

Here, the same teacher stays with the same students and teaches the same subjects across the three grades.
(Ex: A Writing/Reading teacher teaches K, 1st, and 2nd grade students in those subjects).

STRONG TEACHER/STUDENT RELATIONSHIPS

Teaching the same students across 3 grades allows teachers, students, and families to create deep
and meaningful relationships.

HANDS-ON ATTENTION

With small class sizes and 3 teachers teaching the same group of students, learning progress is closely monitored
throughout the year.

Education Levels

Early Childhood

Ages 3-4 years
Full-Day Program

Primary Grades

K through 5th Grade
Self-contained classrooms

Middle School Grades

6th grade - 8th grade
Departmental change of classes

What We Offer

A unique Learning Community curriculum

(K-2, 3-5, 6-8)

Title I Teachers

Federal Breakfast & Lunch programs

Textbook rental program

Active PTO

School counselor

Student computer access

School library

Music & Art classes

Heart of Mary is a qualified non-public Alabama school under the Alabama Accountability Act (AAA) to enroll students from failing public schools.

History
Staff

Our Amazing Staff

Administrators

Mrs. Jekirra Johnson

Principal

jjohnson@mphom.org

Ms. Beverly Burden

Office Administrator

bburden@mphom.org

Teachers

Mrs. Martha Hightower

4th/5th Grade Teacher

mhightower@mphom.org

Ms. Sue Arnold

Pre-K 3 & 4 Teacher

sarnold@mphom.org

Our Board

Our board, a diverse collection of businessmen and women, entrepreneurs, judges, educators, bankers, and other professionals, black and white, from all parts of Mobile, are united together in our fierce loyalty and affection for Heart of Mary School.

History
Quick Facts
Back To Top